04 January 2012

Litespeed RX3 - Review

This article is mostly for light Moyes pilots. Light - because this racing machine is designed for them. Moyes - because others might think my excited review is like a commercial, but it's not easy for me to tone down my excitement right now.


We'll let the designer tell about the technical details later. For now, I want to tell you about the Litespeed RX3 from the point of view of my feelings, as I've already made a few XC flights with this glider in a varying weather conditions.

Launch and landing
Foot launching is as easy as it was with my LitespeedS3. A nice feature of the glider is that it comes with the special A-frame, which has the standard length uprights, but a shorter basebar. It makes the A-frame a little more narrow in a shoulder area, so when a pilot with not very wide shoulders picks up the glider, the clearance between the basebar and the ground is bigger than it is with the standard A-frame. This certainly makes a foot launch in no wind easier.

Aerotowing with the Litespeed RX3 became easier for me. The RX3 picks up speed faster than any other glider I've flown before - I don't need to use a lot of VG for an aerotow now. Since it follows the Dragonfly very solidly, you don't need to work as much (which might make you too relaxed sometimes with towing, but...:).

Landings.
I didn't have any problems with landing my S3 - it lands kindly. But when I wanted to have a thorough stall on the S3, I always used some VG. On the RX3, the stall is more accurate - I don't need to use VG at all to have a clean break.

In flight
In flight I saw the difference right away. With a loose VG, you feel like you are flying a Malibu - so quick and easy it rolls, turns, and follows your thought.

I had a four month break in flying, and usually after such a long break I feel dead tired after a few hours XC flight: all muscles are sore as my body didn't have enough exercise for a long while. But not this time! I've had four XC flights already with this glider in different conditions. Nothing is sore! Not at all. The handling is so easy, I can not believe it :) 

Also I don't need to highside much while thermaling - the glider sits perfectly in a thermal by itself. 

What I also felt is that the tip on RX3 became smaller. On the S3 I could push the bar out as far as possible while thermaling, and the glider would not stall, but would continue to sit in the air on one tip. On the RX3 I can't count on tip as much - this is the price for better handling, I suppose. But I didn't feel it as a disanvatage, as the glider sits in a thermal in a perfect bank itself, making my thermaling quite effortless.

On top of that, the RX3 balances like a Malibu. You can basebar it. You can roll it so fast like I've never experienced before with a topless glider. You can dune soar. How is cool is that:)?

Adjustments
All pilots who tested the glider before me were quite a bit heavier than me, as I am just 50 kilos. Therefore my perceptions about the glider might be different from, say, Gerolf's or Jamie's.

One of things I wanted to adjust for my weight was the trim. As much as I like fast trim, I decided to slow it down to the second hole from the back. Now the position of the bar in thermal is the most comfortable for my taste.

Another thing is the pitch. I felt that, with my weight, I don't load the glider as much as a heavier pilot would, therefore the pitch moment also got lighter. It doesn't feel comfortable sometimes in bumpy air, so we put a bit more reflex back and put the divesticks a little higher. Now it's perfect for me:)

Conclusion
In comparing the RX3 with the S3 (keeping in mind my 50 kilos weight), I think that the S3 is more conservative and forgiving, while the RX3 is faster and more dynamic, more like a racing machine. And that I like a lot.

Thanks Gerolf and thanks Moyes for this amazing glider. RX3 seems to be a dream that came true:)


У Мойесов появился новый аппарат - Litespeed RX3. RX - это новая линейка, новая задумка, и аппарат RX3 - для легких пилотов - оказался первым из этой серии.

Я на нем полетала уже много раз. И над океаном, и в горах (если это, конечно, можно назвать горами:), и здесь, в Форбсе, маршруты. И мне все нравится. Но писать восторженные отзывы на русском даже как-то не хочется - примите за рекламу:)

Поэтому статья предназначается больше для уже Мойес-пилотов. И при этом - для легких:) А таких у нас раз-два и обчелся. Я да Саша? Так что, Саша, это для тебя:)

Технические детали и описания пусть пишет сам дизайнер (я тут потом вам переведу). Я же напишу, как на нем летается.

Старт-посадка

Старт с ног такой же легкий, как на Лайтспиде С3. Отличительной особенностью RX3 является специальная трапеция, у которой стойки стандартной длины, а спидбар короче стандартного. Это делает трапецию Уже в области плеч, поэтому неширокоплечие пилоты получают бОльший клиренс между спидбаром и землей, - хороший плюс при старте в штиль.

Буксироваться с RX3 еще легче, чем с S3. Вообще, Лайтспиды знамениты своей легкой буксировкой, и проблем с S3 у меня не было. Но RX-ом я восхитилась - легко набирает скорость, быстро летит, не требует сильно взведенного полиспаста, четко держится за Драгонфлаем.

Посадки на S3 тоже очень легкие. Но когда нужно было более четко сорвать аппарат - я немного взводила полиспаст. RX-у, как оказалось, взводить полиспаст не нужно. Срыв у него и так четкий, мне понравилось.

Полет

Первая мысль - черт, управляется, как Малибу. Разворачивается моментально, перекладывается из разворота в разворот быстро, управляется силой мысли.

До приезда в Австралию у меня был четырехмесячный перерыв в полетах. Обычно после таких перерывов у меня все мышцы болят очень сильно после маршрутных полетов.
А в этот раз не болят. Я каждый день жду - ну, наверное, должны бы уже заболеть? Неа, уже маршрутов пять по несколько часов - и не устаю. Ну без усилий рулится, что тут поделаешь:)?
Даже хайсадится в потоке не надо - аппарат просто встает в поток и держит угол сам. Как? Не знаю. Держит!

Еще сразу чувствуется, что лопух меньше, чем у С-ки. У С-ки можно пихать ручку на полную катушку в потоке и проворачивается на одном лопухе, не срываясь. Здесь такой трюк не прокатит. Но пока мне это не показалось недостатком, потому что аппарат в потоке  стоит сам в хорошем таком крене без проблем.

И плюс к тому, аппарат отбалансирован, как Малибу. Можно играться с ним на дюнах, держаться за спидбар. Добрый!

Настройка

Все, кто облетывал RX3 до меня, были килограмм на двадцать тяжелее меня. И конечно, аппарат чувствуется по-разному при такой разнице в весе.
Полетав немного со стандартными настройками, я сдвинула точку подцепа на дырочку назад, чтобы в потоке малость замедлить аппарат. Сейчас мне больше нравится, как аппарат стоит в потоке, спидбар там, где надо, скорости те, что надо:)
Еще мне показалось, что из-за того, что я недогружаю аппарат, у меня уж очень мало усилий на ручке. Подправили латы малость (добавили С-образия), приподняли антипики. Стало просто идеально.

Итог
Если сравнивать Litespeed S3 и Litespeed RX3, то я бы сказала, что С-ка более консервативная и всепрощающая, в то время как RX3 - быстрый, динамичный, легкий в управлении гоночный болидик:) И мне это очень очень нравится:)

5 comments:

  1. Женя, обычно я читаю твои английские версии постов, а тут перечитывая описание RX, в этот раз на русском, у меня отвисла челюсть, когда я прочитала обращение к себе самой, но сижу теперь и не могу перестать улыбаться. Какое-то нереально крутое ощущение испытываешь, когда покупаешь Лайтспиды. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Хаха, наконец-то письмо достигло адресата:))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Evgeniya; Do you have any hang gliding video to share in you-tube?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, not yet. I have a lot of footage from Gopros, but I didn't cut it in a good movie - yet!

    ReplyDelete